In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 10 October 2014

Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

Weigh the good against the bad in JM and the scales tip in favour of the bad, Keanu’s acting is laughable (Razzie nominated) and Ice-T is impossible to take seriously (in everything, ever), but a big chunk of love for it regardless tips them back the other way in my estimation.
The screenplay is by William Gibson, based on his short story (1981); Gibson doesn't write simple stuff but parts of it are somewhat underdeveloped.
It resembles a Beta of Masamune Shirow's software running on cobbled together cyberpunk hardware. It's also somehow reminiscent of yakuza movies from a decade before. And it has Henry Rollins.
It’s a good thing it got made when it did, because in a post-Matrix (1999) world it wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of existing as is.

3 residual traces out of 5

1 comment:

Neg said...

As I've told you, it's been a very long time since I've made the time to watch it, but it's still very much in my collection. I will endeavor to rectify this. By watching it, not getting rid of it :erm:

I also like it mostly because...I just like it :laugh:

The room service outburst is surprisingly emotional and I've always connected with the general sentiment.