In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 15 October 2014

RETURN TO OZ [1985]

You'd think getting Walt Disney to produce another Oz film would be the safest route to a colorful, happy family film.
Laughably this is not the case, with Walter Murch's bleak and oddly disturbing Return To Oz, which takes the viewer back into a worn down and decaying land, a far cry from the Technicolor world we knew from before.  Taking elements from several of  L. Frank Baum's Oz books, Return does a better job at faithfully adapting the works than the 1939 film did.  Much like The Neverending Story of the same era, this film is pure dark fantasy for the kids and isn't afraid to explore themes most kiddy films dare not venture into.  With some unsettling stop-motion effects and creepy characters, both good & bad, Return To Oz won't please viewers hoping for more dancing Munchkins,  Although anybody ready for a wonderous ride into a child-like imagination, no matter how dark, then this might be the one for you.

3½ green ornaments out of 5

3 comments:

Neg said...

I imagine I'd go with 4 Heralds of Jacob Singer out of 5. I can get very fanboy over concepts that intrigue me and this embodies one of my numerous favorites.

It doesn't hurt that it's one of the few things that can give me actual chills, either. Such things are always cherished.

cuckoo said...

I understand your love for it and I quite it enjoyed it myself.

The only thing that held it back from me giving it a 4 was the lack of character. I felt no attachment to anybody as they never really developed or had much to begin with.

Neg said...

I can't really argue with that. I suppose my expectations are a little more lax/forgiving in this genre. Especially being a film. You know I'm far more critical when it comes to characterization in more long-form types of media.