In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Westworld (1973)

A futuristic theme park is the setting for the rich hedonist, romanticist or thrill-seeker to indulge in guilt-free jollies in Roman World, Medieval World and West World, respectively. It’s classic 70s 'technology gone wrong' sci-fi written and directed by Michael Crichton.
I've loved the film for over twenty years and it still has me transfixed today even though it's been copied many times since. It was the first time I’d ever seen the western and the sci-fi genre brought together.
The music is dramatic in all the right places and Crichton’s direction is shrewd. Yul Brynner is superb as the menacing, relentless gunslinger; he hardly speaks but you’ll remember him long after the credits roll.

4 perilous LARPs out of 5

2 comments:

budarc said...

Doc, have you seen the new TV series yet?

I just watched this film for the first time and it was remarkably...straightforward compared to what I was expecting.

Jonathan Nolan really used the idea as a jumping off point and reinvented it completely.

And, boy oh boy, was Futureworld disappointing (although I liked the idea of clones). I'd like to watch Beyond Westworld too, but I can't find that shit anywhere.

---

I'm finding the "Please prove you're not a robot" captcha funny right now for some reason.

Dr Faustus said...

I've not seen the TV series. I know a few people that are watching it and they both like it; only one of them has any knowledge of the film.

I've seen this one at least a dozen times over the years. I love things that have a 1970's futurism vibe.

I agree on Futureworld. It's hardly worth watching at all.

I'd love to see Beyond Westworld, too. There's a US DVD box set of it that I believe is Region Free, but it's too damn expensive to take a chance on seeing as how it's only 5 episodes (plus, there's import fees for me).