In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 26 April 2014

The Survivor (1981)

An Aussie drama based on a James Herbert novel of the same name. It’s been twenty years since I read the book, so a comparison is impossible.
It revolves around a plane crash that kills everyone onboard except one man, who walks away unharmed. The questions of why the crash happened and why he alone survived the devastation give rise to an ingrained sense of unease and foreboding that’s difficult to pin down. Some coincidental creepy happenings elsewhere help make things more compelling.
I enjoyed the majority of the film, but only because I fit into a very specific pigeonhole: I'm a fan of both Robert Powell and Jenny Agutter and I loved composer Brian May's atmospheric score and the eerie sound effects.

3½ pieces of event out of 5

No comments: