In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 2 October 2013

Curse of Chucky (2013)

Creator of Chucky, Don Mancini, takes the series back to its roots with fewer laughs and more horror in the sixth instalment. There's still humour but it's very, very dark. The problem with that approach is that the viewer responds by taking the film more seriously and it becomes harder to differentiate it from all the other horror sequels shat out every year.
The first half of the film is perfect in every way, Mancini's direction is flawless, the build up is superbly paced and the characters well-defined, but it seems to lose its impetus as it nears the ending. Brad Dourif's voice work makes the killer doll not just wicked but a vehemently evil, nasty piece of work; he really is brutal this time. There's also fine work from Brad's daughter Fiona. If she doesn't end up typecast, she could go on to great things.

3 bowls of roulette chilli out of 5

5 comments:

cuckoo said...

The size of your Nuts this past week are almost as big as mine.

:naughty:

cuckoo said...

Actually, upon closer inspection of your Nuts...they are bigger.

Dr Faustus said...

I know. I said to myself after looking at them, "Feck, my Nuts are big." :erm:

I bet you weren't expecting to hear anything that sexy today.

The Matrix ones needed extra space. And I didn't chop Chucky down as much as I usually do for some reason.

Borderline said...

Just finished watching this maybe 15 minutes ago. It was very good. Fiona did a great job. I would love to see a lot more of her.

I heard after this did so well in sales, the studio wished they had put more money in it and put it out theatrically, so I'm really hoping they do that for the next Chucky movie.

I also hope there's no remake. It doesn't need one though that certainly hasn't stopped Hollywood producers.

Dr Faustus said...

Fiona was excellent.

I don't really mind if the next one is another Direct to DVD release, just as long as there is one, and that it's as entertaining as the first half of this was.

The scene at the dinner table was so damn good!