In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 1 August 2012

MOTHER'S DAY [2010]

Director Darren Lynn Bousman (of the Saw franchise & Repo! The Genetic Opera) tones down the outrageous schlock and hits a little closer to home in the brutally violent home invasion thriller Mother's Day.  Rebecca De Mornay can play batshit crazy like the best of them, however the rest of the cast pales in comparison.  As home invasion films go, this might be one of the better ones as it keeps you guessing what's going to happen next.  As good films go, this doesn't quite qualify, due to weak character development.

boiling water hurts more on the inside out of 5

2 comments:

Borderline said...

One of the more underrated films of recent memory.

A film which left me feeling shaken, not knowing if I would like to make a return visit. I purchased it nonetheless but have yet to rewatch it.

3.5 out of 5 from me

cuckoo said...

It did indeed have some scenes that made me wince.

The boiling water disturbs the hell out of me. Feck.

Just feck.

I'm meeting Bousman in just under 2 weeks. I should get him to sign my copy.