In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Dil To Pagal Hai (1997)

The usual fare: love triangle, heartache, comedy, fifty people dancing in perfect unison in the rain, and Shah Rukh Khan putting the rest of the male population to shame with his awesomeness.
My only problem with this one is that it features a woman so perfect she can’t ever exist in reality; it’s too much of a fairytale to be believable, too floaty and dreamy to settle heavily into my heart.
During the occasional moments when it did manage to hit home it felt like an undiscovered Shakespearean romance. Less Disney Princess and more real drama would have made it three hours of greatness.

3 la la la la laahs out of 5

2 comments:

Impudent Urinal said...

3 goddamn hours?

I can't squeeze that shit for stuff i like.

Dr Faustus said...

I don't think I've ever seen an Indian film that lasted less than 2 and a half hours. 0_0
It seems to be the norm for those kinds of film, they have to squeeze in 4 or 5 song and dance routines so maybe that's why.
I have a few more to watch. I'm on one of my usual genre binges.