In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 10 August 2018

The 5th Wave (2016)

The YA genre has some wonderful qualities, and Miss Moretz is good at what she does, usually, but 5th Wave is a showcase for neither of those things. It's post-apocalyptic YA sci-fi nonsense that caused in me some kind of movie-response brain-freeze. The part of me that registers and rejects utter bullshit was firing like a fourth of July parade, but like a fool I stuck it out.
The film does eventually answer the burning question that discerning viewers will want answered, but the pay-off isn't worth the time it takes to get there. Then, just five minutes afterwards it drops a second surprise 'plot-twist' that almost ended me. To add insult to injury, it seems to be part one of a longer story. If I'd known that prior to watching, I'd not have wasted my time on it.

1½ switches flicked out of 5

No comments: