In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 16 December 2017

Resident Evil: Degeneration (2008)

CG animated tie-in to the Resident Evil video games, a series that has more entries in its arsenal than you can shake a zombie finger at.
It teams the heroic Leon (iconic jacket - check) and the sympathetic Claire, both of whom are voiced by the same duo as featured in the games. Events from their past are referenced often but the story doesn't waste time reiterating or explaining them, so it's not an ideal start for Resi newcomers.
A couple of interesting developments prevent it from being a waste of time for people who aren't totally invested in the lore, such as I, including an admirable attempt to give weight to the inevitable appearance of an 'end boss' sized creature, but mostly it's content to be a simple fan-pleaser.

2 falling platforms out of 5

3 comments:

Neg said...

My eyes bugged out of my head, seeing this nut. I'm sure you can tell, but there has been a successful rekindling of my passion for the (small part of this) series (that I actually like).

This film went in one ear (eye?) and out the other, for me. I'm sure part of that had to do with Claire. I loathe her. To the point that I'm disappointed that she's related to someone as amazing to me as Chris :laugh: But seriously :erm:

Rob adores her.

Dr Faustus said...

It was damned uncanny! I saw your other Resi comments about 25 minutes before this was due to post (it's been sitting in 'scheduled' for just under a month). I think there was a sequel to the film, but I've not seen it.

Neg said...

The wiki tells me that there's 'Damnation' and 'Vendetta.' The former is indeed a sequel, but it's not clear about the third, from the skimming I engaged in, at any rate. It has Chris, Leon, and Rebecca.