In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 27 April 2013

LOST HIGHWAY [1997]

David Lynch's 1997 psychological thriller Lost Highway is loosely inspired by Ambrose Bierce's short story An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and a strange intercom call Lynch received one fine morning.
It explores themes of memories, identity, madness and distrust using a surreal linear style of feverish storytelling.  The initial viewing will leave you baffled and most likely disturbed, however with a closer attention to detail and deceivingly pointless lines of dialogue, you'll figure it all out pretty quickly.  With it's fantastic soundtrack, unsettling photography & sound design and a particularly frightening performance from Robert Blake, Lost Highway is sure to please fans of Lynch's neo-noir films.

3½  mysterious videotapes out of 5

3 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

I like it.
4 yellow lines out of 5

cuckoo said...

I quite like it too.

Initially gave it a 4 but went back and re-edited it to a 3 1/2 within 2 minutes.

The Lynch film (only 3 left) that I will be rating a 4 is better than this one, so it wouldn't make sense to rate them the same.

Dr Faustus said...

I meant I like both the film and your review. I was being lazy and hoped one short sentence would cover both. :p

I remember doing the same half a point thing with the score on Oldboy because I prefer Lady V.