In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 29 March 2012

Intolerable Cruelty (2003)

Gold-diggers and rich idiots are a perfect match; they deserve each other. Intolerable Cruelty mixes the formula up a little, but not enough to make it fresh. After a great start it loses momentum early and becomes utterly predictable. Predictability doesn't usually matter with Coen brothers films because it’s about the characters and the chase; it has the characters (one especially memorable one played by Clooney) but the chase is of a different kind. If you've got nothing better to watch, it’ll fill 100 minutes.

2½ looking for an ass to mount out of 5

3 comments:

cuckoo said...

Ahh...I was hoping this wouldn't be the Coen Bros. movie you were talking about the other night...this or The Ladykilers.

Dismal, dismal Coen Bros. films.

It'd be a 2 from me.

Dr Faustus said...

I had thought 2 as well while I was watching but as I sat down to write I thought of Wheezy Joe, that made me laugh so I gave it an extra half point for that. It was impulse.

I've not seen Ladykilers. It seems to be universally hated.

cuckoo said...

I wanted to like The Ladykillers. I liked the original and had faith in the Coens.

Didn't give a rat's ass what anybody else thought......

...turns out they were right though. :(