In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 28 January 2012

The Skin I Live In (2011)

The Skin I Live In is the sort of movie that's probably better the less you know about it, which makes it tricky to review. It's a strange, disturbing with some stunning cinematography (courtesy of José Luis Alcaine). It's not always pleasant to watch, and it's frequently flat-out uncomfortable, but it's absolutely compelling from start to finish.

I was enthralled by this film the entire time I was watching it, but I'm not sure I came away satisfied.  The ideas presented in the movie are fascinating, but neither they nor the film's characters were explored as deeply as I would've liked. It's based on a book, and I think I'd enjoy that more, even with the absence of beautiful visuals. However,  it's a movie worth watching as long as you're okay with the distressing subject matter.

4 body stockings out of 5.

No comments: