In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 30 July 2017

Stateside (2004)

Stateside’s negatives must be immediately addressed so they can be summarily discounted. I am almost certain that the reason no literal combat is shown is because of the film’s lack of endorsement by the U.S. Armed Forces. While I think it would have been a plus, I assure you that there is more than enough emotional engagement on display. One snippet of a scene seemingly contains a continuity gaffe, but it may have been initially shot to be used earlier in the film and simply re-purposed. I can’t believe I’ve wasted so many words on non-issues! Stateside is so incredibly genuine and the dialogue is awkwardly-truthful PERFECTION. There are moments where it vies to be the most philosophical and poetic thing I’ve ever experienced.

5 Career Defining Performances out of 5

Nutted by NEG.

No comments: