In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 25 November 2012

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE [2009]

Spike Jonze takes up the near impossible task of turning Maurice Sendak's children's book Where The Wild Things Are into a feature length film.  
Now it was this book and Jim Henson's imagination that molded me into the wreck that I am today, so I went into this film with extreme caution.  So I was happy to come out of it satisfied and in awe of what Jonze did with the story.  It captures the feelings of a child's frustration, rage and imagination quite well, while he is learns to see his own self through the lives of these confused and larger than life monsters.  
Also, there was something in my eye a few times throughout the film.  

3½ owls of nonsensical wisdom out of 5

2 comments:

Borderline said...

From what I've heard this is much more of a mature watch than what most children are ready for.

I'll have to check it out some time. I never read the book as a child though. I was more of a Berenstein Bears kind of kid.

cuckoo said...

It is a little mature for children. Not because it can be scary (it is though) but it really digs deep into the thematics and very subtle with what it's trying to say.

There's a few moments that are actually kind of shocking and disturbing that you might have a difficult time explaining to children but I think it's all part of the harsh, cruel world that they will occasionally experience.