In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 21 December 2014

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

A soulless, ruinous version of The Hitchhiker's Guide that’s had all the deadpan wit filtered out of it in an effort to make it shorter and, I presume, appeal to a wider audience who don’t understand British humour. Ironically, the abridgement was for the best because the casting is so abominable that the sooner it ended the better. Many of the actors don’t seem to understand their roles at all. Even Stephen Fry, who’s given the impossible task of replacing the voice of Peter Jones, can’t save it from itself.

1½ generally bad moves out of 5

5 comments:

Borderline said...

I actually quite enjoyed this. It's not perfect but I feel it captured a certain feeling the books were going for.

I just wish they could have explained why the potted plant's last thought was, "oh no not again." That was my favorite part out of any of the books.

cuckoo said...

I quite liked it too.

I would have tossed it a 3 dolphin dance numbers out of 5.

Neg said...

I liked it enough to take it off Blockbuster's hands. It's Rockwell AND Mos Def.

cuckoo said...

What Neg said.

Rockwell at his most Chad Kroegeriest. :laugh:

Borderline said...

Funny, I also purchased my copy from Blockbuster.