In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 20 October 2014

Simon, King of the Witches (1971)

The best thing about King of the Witches is that amazing artwork, but the film isn't bad either. The titular Simon (Andrew Prine) is a practitioner of magick who lives in a storm drain. Besides wet feet and a bag full of dollar charms, he’s the real deal, armed with an overpowering charisma and a multipurpose Athame; intentionally wrong him, or give him a dodgy cheque for services rendered, and he’ll curse your ass.
The film is an odd mix of B-Movie camp, 70s hipster culture, psychedelia and effects that look like they were lifted from an episode of TOTP. It’s hard to define exactly what it is I liked about it, but like it I did.

3 balls of wax out of 5

1 comment:

cuckoo said...

I can't for the life of me figure out what TOTP stands for.

The best I could think of was Top Of The Pops...and well....FX?

I dunno.

...

you're weird.