In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 29 October 2011

Jonah Hex (2010)

DC Showcase short animated film.

Jonah Hex rides into town on a bounty hunt but his target is mysteriously absent, so he does some digging at the local saloon. Money can buy anything, it seems.
A sun bleached visual look gives this short a real identity.
I know nothing about the Jonah Hex character, but it didn't seem to matter.
The story is self-contained without any obvious need for extraneous comic knowledge. It’s a beautifully executed homage to the westerns of old with extra grit.
The musical score is fantastic. I want more.

4 red dead and very ripe out of 5

4 comments:

cuckoo said...

I'm curious about this one.

Will seek out.

Dr Faustus said...

They're all included on Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam, in extended versions. It didn't make sense to try and fit them all into one post so I made one for each. The longest of is only about 25 mins. Jonah was fantastic.
You'll like the music, I think.

cuckoo said...

Western flavored music always intrigues me.

The Track Team did it. Tom put some Track Team score cues on a few of his 10 Songs if I recall correctly.

Dr Faustus said...

The Track Team did one of the others as well, I forget which one.
I should have said Catwoman isn't on Superman/Shazam! It's on Year One. You knew that but in case anyone else is reading. :p